Origin of Concrete
The word "Concrete" orginates from the Latin word "Concretus", Which means to grow together.
Nature of Concrete
* It is a composite material
* Aggregates are 65-80% of volume
Fine Aggregate - Sand
Coarse aggregate - Stone
* Cement : General term and applies to any bimder
Properties of quality concrete
* Chemical Resistance
* Abrasion Resistance
Concrete as a material
Concrete literally forms the basis of our modern life:
* Harbour Protections
* Water Distribution
Advantages of Concrete
* Ability to cast desired shapes. Ex: Arches, Shells, Columns, Piers,etc.,
* Properties can be tailored according to need (Strength, Durability, etc.,)
* Ability to resist high temperture.
* Does not require any protective coatings
* Can be architectural and structural members at the same time.